Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:27:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gv port builds but fails - needing libpng.so.4 (?)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> > > There's no reason to upgrade everything it depends
> > > on in that case.
> > If you want to upgrade portA-1.2.3 -> portA-2.0.1 and the dependency for
> > portA-2.0.1 is for a package portB-X and the installed version of portB is
> > less than X, then this doesn requires portB to be upgraded.  Obviously
> > this is the situation where "all hell may break loose" because this may
> > require further package upgrades.  Ideally the packaging system would
> > tell you two things:
> >
> > 	(A) you can't do this if other ports depend on the installed
> > version of portB
> > 	(B) if you do this you'll need to upgrade other ports which depend
> > on portB to ensure that the system stays "stable".
> >
> > rpm does (A) which is obviously easier, and I'm not aware of a packaging
> > system which does (B).
>
> Ok, FreeBSD does A, assuming the packages database is up to date. What
> happens for B is that it installs the old version as well as the new
> one. In some cases, this works. In the cases where it doesn't, the
> only harm done is that you'll have to reinstall the newer B a second
> time. Getting warnings would give you the option of not upgrading A
> until you had time to deal with all hell breaking loose.
>
> This can't be fixed as a general problem because applications - and
> hence packages - change names. I.e. - cdrecord has become cdrtools. If
> I have cdrecord installed, and install something that wants part of
> cdrtools that wasn't in cdrecord, there's currently no way to solve
> the problem.

There are ways: I think rpm uses an obsoletes tag which implies "during
the upgrade" that some package (other than one of the same name with a
lower version number) must be removed.  Obviously in these cases you have
to provide explicit information to the package tools.

> > Thus deleting packages doesn't seem to be the problem it's more installing
> > is "too easy".
>
> I *never* expected to hear that said about *anything* associated with
> a Unix system.

You appear to be misinterpreting my comments here.  I love unix's
flexibility.  In an ideal world a packaging tool isn't important, but in a
production machine which you unfortunately _have_ to control and maintain
having a system which keeps an eye on what's installed helps a lot.
However you need to trust the tool, and currently I don't trust "ports" or
pkg_add sufficiently because it doesn't warn me enough.  Perhaps I need to
do:

	setenv PORTS_SIMON_WANTS_LOTS_OF_WARNINGS=true
	cd /usr/ports/....
	make install

I'll have to work on a patch and send it in... :-)

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd@pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager