Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 1998 08:46:30 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        "Gary Lahr" <lahrg@atlanta.ds.adp.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Samba

At 12:42 PM 4/8/98 -0400, Gary Lahr wrote:
>I am trying to setup samba on version 2.2.5 of BSD. I loaded the software
>from the ports collection and I am having a difficult time getting it to
>work. My config file is very small:
>
>[homes]
>   comment = Home Directories
>   browseable = yes
>   writable = yes
>   read only = no
>   create mode = 0750

OK. I don't have too much experience with [homes], but I guess there is a
parameter missing there.

sometihng like path=/momes/$user

I am not sure.

>but I cannot connect to the share from NT. I am trying to map a drive to
>\\develbsd\gary. develbsd is the DNS name for the system and gary is a valid
>account. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? When I map to the drive I
>get the username password prompt but the name and password don't match
>according to the message I get. I assure you I'm using the correct password
>for the gary account.
>
>I can use the smbclient to map to an NT share so it looks like the service
>is working ok.
>
>any help would be great...thanks

Had a similar problem before !

NT is slow. Allow it 2 minutes - minimun - to read the network again, or it
will try to use the cached network info it's saved.

If you have your user list on the FBSD machine, AND an NT on the network,
you will need to take special care, or the username/password won't work.

Take a closer look at the documentation; If you can't locate it, unpack the
samba package in one directory, and search for the .txt and html files
there. They solve almost any problem.

I hope it helped.