Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:01:06 -0800
From:      Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        Gerard Farrell <gfarrell@nctrf.nf.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apple

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 10:19:36AM -0330, Gerard Farrell wrote:
> I have been hearing a lot lately that Mac OS X is "based" on FreeBSD.
> Is this true that the unix layer between the mach kernel and the API's
> is FreeBSD? What does this say with respect to binary compatibility
> between FreeBSD and Mac OS X?

My understand was that the kernel itself would be custom, but the
stuff on top of it would be heavily derived from FreeBSD (actually,
I'm not sure it's specifically FreeBSD, or a combination of the free
BSDs).  This obviously implies that the kernel interfaces will
be pretty similar, but low-level stuff, like device drivers, might
not be similar in the least.

I wouldn't hold out for binary compatibility at _all_.  Assuming
you have a PowerPC FreeBSD executable of some sort, it's possible
you'll be able to run it on Mac OS X, if you pull over the right
libraries.  Going in the other direction is very unlikely, though.
If NeXT^H^H^H^HApple references _any_ Mach functionality in their
system libraries, for instance, then you wouldn't be able to move
the executable plus the libraries to FreeBSD and expect them to
work.

GUI apps are going to be right out, unless Apple has really changed
their stripes recently, and kept it a very close secret.

Later,
scott