Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 01:03:47 CST
From:      "Nathan Sheeley" <nsheeley@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Sounb Blaster PCI 128, help!

I have similar problems with my sb pci128, and two days of fiddling
with it have netted nothing.  I can detect it (with the odd 0 irq,
which Karel claims is okay) and play with no error messages, but
I get no sound.  The "mixer" program reports the vol already set
to 100, and strangely I can't (as me or as root) change the vol to
something other than 100.  It reports changing it, but when I query
it it hasn't changed.

I'm out of ideas how what I might be doing is different than everyone
who does have it working ;)  I have a SMP motherboard, an Abit dual
Celeron thing, maybe that is it.  But I have tried uni kernels with
no results.

I do know the sound card/speakers/etc work, 'cause I downloaded
the OSS uni driver and it worked well (with a uni kernel, it locks
up as advertised on the SMP version).  If only they had a SMP
version.  The pcm man page reports that a driver for es1371 is
being "worked on".  Perhaps the changes are only in 4.0?

Nate

kernel entries:

# sound
device pcm0 at pnp?
device es1 at pnp?

# /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (981002) Mar  1 2000 13:36:16
Installed devices:
pcm2: <ES1371Q AudioPCI> at 0xd400 irq 0 dma 0:0

# dmesg/bootup
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
es1: <AudioPCI ES1371> rev 0x07 int a irq 19 on pci0.17.0
# irq 19 seems odd, since my plug&pray bios reports it at 10.
# if I force the issue in the kernel config file, I can get
# es1: <AudioPCI ES1371> rev 0x07 int a irq 10 on pci0.17.0
pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0xd400
es1371: codec vendor  revision 0
es1371: codec features Bass & Treble
es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement