Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 11:36:57 -0400
From:      Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@CS.McGill.CA>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing 2.1.0-R

>From dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu Mon Apr 29 03:14:44 1996
>On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Pierre Sarrazin wrote:
>> I'm having problems installing FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE. I can't seem
>> to get a valid kernel on the hard disk.
	[...]
>If this is a new install, you MUST include the bin dist.  No
>choice.  That is why you are missing a kernel; it is in there.
>
>I guess I'm confused as to what you are doing.  Are you trying to install
>a new system?  Or are you trying to prepare a new empty disk?

The bin dist was on the slave disk, which doesn't seem to be an
available option under the Media menu.

But I solved my problem. I went into the holographic shell using Alt-F4,
I mounted the slave disk's 2.0.5 filesystem on /mnt and the master disk's
DOS partition on /dos. Then I copied the bin dist from the 2.0.5 fs to
the DOS partition (in C:\FREEBSD\BIN). After that, I selected "DOS partition"
in the Media menu and the rest went relatively well.

I thought that when I cleared the set of distributions to install,
it would avoid extracting the bin dist. I also thought that the
GENERIC kernel to be put on the hard disk was some sort of modified
copy of the boot floppy's kernel.

I guess I thought too much.

>> This is confusing because I don't always follow the program's
>> reasoning. Things seemed to be easier before the installation
>> procedure was made user-friendly...
>
>Your sentement is shared with one of my colleagues -- he prefers the
>1.1.5.1 text-based install.

Interesting... Thanks for your help.

Pierre.