Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:44:56 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Young' <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Unable to connect via ppp (was: Modem Issues)

From the information that you have given so far.  It is not a problem with
the modem, it is not a problem with BSD.  It is a problem with that fact
that a proper ppp connection is not being made.

If the ppp connection is not made within a certain amount of time the
connection will be dropped.

PLEASE, follow these exact instructions, tell us exactly what happens and
what goes wrong if it does not work.

1. Type "ppp" at the command prompt.
2. At the ppp machine> prompt type "term", dial, and login properly.
3. When you're done logging in type "~p"
4. At this point you should type "show ipcp".  Take not of "his address".
5. At some point your prompt should change to say "PPP machine>" if it hangs
up before getting to this point.  Please tell us what the prompt said before
it hung up.  Is it "ppp, Ppp, PPp, or PPP"?
6. Take the value of his addres in the last step and type "add 0 0
value_of_his_address".
7. Type ALT-F2 and try pinging different addresses.

I realize that you have information from the isp as to ip addresses and
such, and people are going back and forth with do this do that.  but I think
we need to start from scratch and attack your problems systematically.  UNIX
is not so convoluted and un-intuitive that it's going to thwart you at every
turn, just for the hell of it.