Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:53:42 -0700
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Francisco Reyes <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD advocacy

At 11:08 PM 7/29/98 +0000, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>The BSD's already share some things. The ports mechanisms and CVS are
>common. I have seen beaucoup references to other BSD's in various sources
>and make files.
>
>I think some of OpenBSD's security measures are novel. I know enough about
>crypto to probably enjoy OpenBSD. Maybe on day FreeBSD can incorporate
>their ideas.

Thought experiment: what would the world be like if instead of just one
company producing an OS that supported the "Win32 APIs", you had three,
each doing development independently, but coordinating the API's in the
name of interoperability?

Well, so long as the competitors each sold value on top of the base product
(thus removing the need to make too many proprietary API's) then we'd have
real competition in the OS space.  I bet there'd be fewer bugs, more
stability, and much lower prices, no "undocumented" API calls, and honest
to god *innovation*.  You'd also have some customization; one OS might be
better at providing a total locked-down system, another might be better for
serving files and applications, and yet another might be more adept at
running on various hardware.  So long as the API's were consistant the
"balkanization" factor would be mitigated.

Lo, and behold, that's what we have here in *BSD land.  And this is not a
bad thing; having one OS for an audience of millions means having to make
decisions that make everyone happy, and it's a lot easier for 3 teams to
each make 3 million people happy than one team to make all 9 million happy.

Again, so long as the API's stay as consistant as possible, it really
doesn't matter.  Don't make it a chore for an application developer to make
their products available over all three (the ports system seems to work
well in this regard).  Learn from each other - be on each other's CVS
commit lists - I know there has been patch sharing between the teams.  This
is good!  Don't get caught up in debates about territory and ego
scratching.  Interoperability is the key.

	Brian