Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:21:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Jeff Muse <jmuse@kcnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWBIE: CVSup issues

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Jeff Muse wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> First of all, I want to say thank you for sharing your experience to all of
> you who post on the list. Between lurking here and RTFM'ing, I'd like to
> think that I have part of a clue about FreeBSD on occasion.
>
> Anyway, I tried my first CVSup last night. I had a few problems, and the Fine
> Manuals just confused me more. Here is my supfile (more or less straight from
> the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile and the handbook):
>
> ports-all tag=.	# This line is definitely a problem

It's a lot easier (and avoids problems of just this kind) if you use
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile and (separately) /usr/share/
examples/cvsup/stable-supfile.  However, moving this line to the end
of the file will solve your problems.

Besides, unless you are updating on a day-to-day basis, updating ports
and updating source for the system are not things you necessarily want
to do at the same time.

You may want to update ports to get a new software version; if you
update src at the same time and want to build a new kernel WITHOUT
doing a make buildworld (etc), your kernel will be out of sync with
userland unless you build the world first.

You probably typed thes in--this is not what my stable-supfile
looks like.  Keep in mind the supfiles get updated when when you
src-all, so save your supfile to a new name if you want to keep
the changes.

> *defaulthost=cvsup6.freebsd.org
> *defaultbase=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *defaultprefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4 # Not sure if this line is a problem or not.

This is right for -stable (last line); others may have typos (space needed
after the word default).

> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> src-all
>
> First, I am trying to keep up with FreeBSD 4_STABLE including ports. However,
> after running `cvsup -g -L2 supfile`, I get an error: "Release not
> specified for collection "ports-all". Complete FreeBSD uses "ports-all" for
> the ports example, but the sample supfile and the handbook have dire warnings
> about using anything other than "ports-all tag=.", saying you might hose your
> installed ports. What am I doing wrong and why is there a difference between
> the handbook and Complete FreeBSD? If I comment out the ports line, I can
> cvsup and `make world`.
>
> Second, although I am trying to keep up with -STABLE, I've gotten weird
> errors after CVSup. ipfw segfaulted, and `pwd` and `cd ..`  gave me "No such
> file or directory" several times. Did I somehow get -CURRENT instead, and if
> so, what should I have in my supfile to get to -STABLE?

You need to run mergemaster; make world does not update the files in /etc
(from their new versions in /usr/src/etc) because these are files the
administrator of the system configures.  Some you want to update; some you
want to leave alone; sometimes you need to merge the old and the new.

> I'm sure that there is a simple answer to these questions, but the more I
> read, the more I get confused.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC