Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:08:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Martin Sapsed <m.sapsed@bangor.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        m.sapsed@bangor.ac.uk
Subject:   Problem with FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

Hi all,

I'm have loaded FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE onto a P75 which I want to use as a
cd-rom server. It has 16 mb RAM and 18 Panasonic quad speed SCSI cd-rom
drives connected to 3 Adaptec Ultra 2940 PCI SCSI cards. I have rebuilt
the kernel using the config file below and created devices (by adding the
extra numbers to the line in MAKEDEV), a sample of which appear below
also. I can access the first few cd drives (tried nos 1 and 2
particularly) and can access the other drives as far as mounting them (ro
and cd9660) and cd'ing to them is concerned but prolonged access to them
(du on a large-ish CD) produces various errors like (the numbers in [ ]
are basically the same error printout but with 2 differences).

fault virtual address	= 0x5d		[0x4c]
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf01244dc
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 186 (du)	[197]
interrupt mask		= bio
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 7 7 7 7 7...7 7 giving up

and on another occasion

panic: bremfree: removing a buffer when not on a queue

I wanted the cd's tied to particular device numbers and think I've done
this. As I said limited access to the later cds is possible.

What have I done wrong? Do I need to alter something somewhere?

Help!

Martin

Please include me in any reply as I'm not on the lists yet!

Martin Sapsed                                Tel: +44 (0)1248 382409
Microcomputer Support Officer                Fax: +44 (0)1248 383826
UCNW Computing Lab
Bangor, N. Wales, LL57 2DG               "Who do you say I am?"
m.sapsed@bangor.ac.uk                              Jesus of Nazareth

A sample of entries in /dev look like

brw-r-----  1 root  wheel    6,   0 Dec 14 10:32 /dev/cd0a
brw-r-----  1 root  wheel    6,   2 Dec 14 10:32 /dev/cd0c
brw-r-----  1 root  wheel    6,   8 Dec 14 14:28 /dev/cd1a
brw-r-----  1 root  wheel    6,  10 Dec 14 14:28 /dev/cd1c
brw-r-----  1 root  wheel    6,  80 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/cd10a
brw-r-----  1 root  wheel    6,  82 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/cd10c
brw-r-----  1 root  wheel    6, 112 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/cd14a
brw-r-----  1 root  wheel    6, 114 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/cd14c
crw-------  1 root  wheel   15, 536870912 Dec 14 10:32 /dev/rcd0.ctl
crw-r-----  1 root  wheel   15,   0 Dec 14 10:32 /dev/rcd0a
crw-r-----  1 root  wheel   15,   2 Dec 14 10:32 /dev/rcd0c
crw-------  1 root  wheel   15, 536870920 Dec 14 14:28 /dev/rcd1.ctl
crw-r-----  1 root  wheel   15,   8 Dec 14 14:28 /dev/rcd1a
crw-r-----  1 root  wheel   15,  10 Dec 14 14:28 /dev/rcd1c
crw-------  1 root  wheel   15, 536870992 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/rcd10.ctl
crw-r-----  1 root  wheel   15,  80 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/rcd10a
crw-r-----  1 root  wheel   15,  82 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/rcd10c
crw-------  1 root  wheel   15, 536871024 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/rcd14.ctl
crw-r-----  1 root  wheel   15, 112 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/rcd14a
crw-r-----  1 root  wheel   15, 114 Dec 18 10:40 /dev/rcd14c

and the kernel was rebuilt with

#####################
machine		"i386"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
ident		"CDROM3"
maxusers	10

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3
options		"SCSI_DELAY=15"		#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console

options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG

config		kernel	root on sd0

controller	isa0
controller	pci0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

controller	ahc0
controller	ahc1	at isa? bio irq ? vector ahcintr
controller	ahc2	at isa? bio irq ? vector ahcintr

controller    scbus0 at ahc0
controller    scbus1 at ahc1 bus 0
controller    scbus2 at ahc2 bus 0

device		sd0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0

device		cd0 at scbus0 target 3
device		cd1 at scbus0 target 4
device		cd2 at scbus0 target 5
device		cd3 at scbus0 target 6

device		cd7 at scbus1 target 0
device		cd8 at scbus1 target 1
device		cd9 at scbus1 target 2
device		cd10 at scbus1 target 3
device		cd11 at scbus1 target 4
device		cd12 at scbus1 target 5
device		cd13 at scbus1 target 6

device		cd14 at scbus2 target 0
device		cd15 at scbus2 target 1
device		cd16 at scbus2 target 2
device		cd17 at scbus2 target 3
device		cd18 at scbus2 target 4
device		cd19 at scbus2 target 5
device		cd20 at scbus2 target 6

device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device		sio2	at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
device		sio3	at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	sl	1
pseudo-device	tun	1
pseudo-device	pty	16
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's