Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:27:40 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ion Mihai Tetcu" <freebsd@rol.ro>
Subject:   Re: Spam mail thru [].freebsd.org

> I'm receving 3-4 of this email / day.
> It seems that some servers from freebsd.org are used to send this mail
> (open relay ?).
> Is there any way to stop it ?

It's being sent through the mailing list, which is open to anyone to post
to it, not by the FreeBSD mail server itself. I think there are many
precautions in place which I've heard drop the vast majority of the spam
mail received, however some inevitabley slips through.

The reasons for the mailing list being open to anyone to post to, is that
the address mailto:questions@freebsd.org is used as a general "help" email
address, as well as a mailing list, so people can email it even if they are
not subscribed to the list to ask for help.

Having said that, if there is anything more that could be done to stop the
spam coming through....

On a related topic, I've had a ten-fold increase in spam to my normal email
address (not through FreeBSD.org at all) since I've started posting to this
list, which I find far more annoying than the spam I get through the list
itself. At least I can unsubscribe from the list if the spam gets too much,
no such option with my own email address. I suppose I should have used a
separate email account to post here, but hey, what's done is done now I
guess.

Regards,
Mark