Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:10:22 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Will Saxon <wills@housing.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-BETA2 boot hang, maybe acpi related

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:31:57 -0400, Will Saxon <wills@housing.ufl.edu> wrote:
> I have a problem similar to the 'hang during CDROM detection' thread that is
> also going on right now. When I try to boot from either a 5.3-BETA2 CD or a
> 5.3-BETA2 installation on my hard drive, I experience a boot hang.

Your problem may be fixed in the 6.0-CURRENT ata driver.  Try the following:

cd /usr/src/sys/dev/ata
cvs [-d <your CVSROOT>] update -PAd -r HEAD
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel
make installkernel

reboot the system and see if you still have the boot hang.

The 6.0-CURRENT ata driver fixes my crash on boot problem (after a reboot).

Scot