Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:06:07 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Thomas Ewing <Thomas_Ewing@tamu-commerce.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jounaling File System

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:18:59 -0700  Alfred Perlstein wrote:
 +------------------
 | * Thomas Ewing <Thomas_Ewing@tamu-commerce.edu> [000816 19:11] wrote:
 | > I have recently been working on setting up a linux server for archiving
 | > our applications for ne wcomputer installs. One of my concerns with
 | > using linux though, is that it does not have a journaling file system,
 | > so that if a sudden power loss occurs, it is a very tedious and time
 | > consuming task to get the linux box back up and running. Does freebsd
 | > have a journaling file system? I am assuming it does since it is unix
 | > based, but I wanted to be sure before I spent a lot of time setting one
 | > up and then finding out it doesn't.
 |
 | Currently it does not.
 |
 | -Alfred
 +------------------

If the only need for a journaling file system is to support fast
recovery from power failures you should look at softupdates in the
FreeBSD ufs.   This feature will almost completely eliminate
inconsistencies caused by crashing an unsynched file system.  It
does not eliminate the boot time fsck, but the probability that fsck
will find a problem is minimized.

chris
--
    Chris Fedde