Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:05:01 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
To:        Gladstone Green <glgreen1@visto.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiboot FreeBSD and Win98

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 at 16:21:59 -0700, Gladstone Green wrote:
> I have been to freeBSD.org and the tutorial for multiple operating
> systems seemed to include alot of stuff that don't apply to me.  I
> just want to know how to add FreeBSD 4.0 to my existing Win98
> system.  Are there any tutorials that are specific to my situation?

Make yourself a partition for FreeBSD via Parition Magic or fips or some
other tool, then install FreeBSD as explained in the handbook.  The
installation for dual-boot doesn't differ all that much from a
standalone installation.. the only real different thing you need to do
is make a partition for FreeBSD.

> Also does FreeBSD have better USB support than Linux?

Dunno.  I don't use Linux and have no idea what their USB support is
like, but FreeBSD supports my USB floppy just fine.  Here's a list of
USB stuff from the GENERIC kernel..

   # USB support
   #device         uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
   #device         ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
   #device         usb             # USB Bus (required)
   #device         ugen            # Generic
   #device         uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
   #device         ukbd            # Keyboard
   #device         ulpt            # Printer
   #device         umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
				   # and da
   #device         ums             # Mouse
   # USB Ethernet, requires mii
   #device         aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
   #device         cue             # CATC USB ethernet
   #device         kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -
- phone: 1.925.691.2800 x.3814 - fax: 1.925.674.0821 - jim@FreeBSD.org -