Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:14:24 -0800
From:      David Ehrmann <ehrmann@gmail.com>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: SATA hotplug and AHCI

Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
>> Linux's libata driver has a quirk for VIA AHCI:
>>
>> /* vt8251 doesn't clear BSY on signature FIS reception,
>>  * request follow-up softreset.
>>  */
>>
>> If i right understand it issues softreset for VIA controllers just
>> after hardreset. And after softreset it is trying to read device
>> signature.
>>
>> FreeBSD CURRENT has similar code, but it is disabled by default.
>> You can try install CURRENT and rebuild ata_ahci driver with AHCI_PM
>> option.
>> May be it will help..
>>

> I'm glad this came up. When I asked a few weeks ago about SATA Hotplug
> support, I was asking because of a board with a VIA SATA controller I
> was planning to add drives too, on a JBOD basis.
>
> Perhaps this hack can be backported to 7.x to actually make VIA
> controllers useful?
I'm *probably* going to wait for the next release and hope they enable
the fix.  Having to run atacontrol attach/detach is a little annoying,
but it seems to work, so for now, I might just say that's good enough.

> P.S. VIA's SATA RAID BIOS is a pile of poop, don't bother using VIA
> for RAID.
I'd say the entire BIOS is.  I had problems getting it to detect boot
devices for the F11 boot menu.  The were more or less resolved after
rebooting (so the hardware was no longer new), but still...