Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:42:19 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Keith Spencer <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        fbsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CourierIMAP...Do I have to configure it? Whoohoo! qmail now works..I think

Keith Spencer wrote:

>Hi all,
>Thanks for help re qmail. Installed form the ports
>collection and hey presto! It works (I think..it
>delivers a local message to a mailbox ok!)
>But IMAP may or may not be working. I have installed
>CourierIMAP package. It didn't crap out. I am trying
>to get IMHO webmail working. It is easy...very easy to
>install and configure (based on Roxen)
>BUT..It won't log users in. says IMAP server errors.
>Couldn't login users.
>What config would I usually have to do as a minimum to
>courier IMAP?
>Really appreciate help her. I have been trying to get
>webamil server built forever. I must be so close now.
>But IMAP?

The steps I used to setup Courier IMAP are:

1. Install qmail and make sure it's working properly - make
   sure it's set up for /Maildir/ delivery, Mailbox doesn't work
   with IMAP.
2. Install Courier-imap from the ports collection.
3. copy /usr/local/etc/rc.d/courier-imapd.sh.sample to
   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/courier-imapd.sh
4. copy these files in /usr/local/etc/courier-imap/
   imapd.dist => imapd
   imapd-ssl.dist => imapd-ssl
   authdaemonrc.dist => authdaemonrc
5. copy /usr/local/libexec/courier-imap/imap.rc to
   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/imapd.sh
6. Verify execute permissions on all files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
7. Reboot.

If you're still having problems, check the /var/log/maillog file
for more details on what's going wrong.

Good luck,
Bill Moran