Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:00:18 +0100
From:      Vincent Jardin <vjardin@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support of iso networking

Le Jeudi 20 Février 2003 00:00, Joseph T. Klein a écrit :
> So how great a delta exists between NetBSD and FreeBSD?
> Can't the NetBSD code be used as a starting point?

I have been looking on this delta. I had been stuck on the handlers of the
"user requests" ( xxx_usrreq() ) that are deeply different between NetBSD and
FreeBSD.
Moreover the TCP/IP Illustrated book illustrates only the 4.4BSD API.

I could not find documentation about the patch that was introduced in 1997
into FreeBSD.

The lonly information about this patch that I have found is:
"1) Old-style (pr_usrreq()) protocols are no longer supported, the
compatibility glue for them is deleted, and the kernel will panic on boot if
any are compiled in."

Are there any papers or slides that describe the new design of the handlers
of the user requests on FreeSBD ?

If one day I will continue on Netiso, then according to me, a first step is
to get it work on FreeBSD 4, then the SMP support for FreeBSD 5 could be
evaluated. If both are done on the same time, it would be too difficult.

Same thing for X25...

Maybe this code could be tested with the ISIS routing support of gated
3.5.11. I think it was using the AF_ISO sockets. I have googled in order to
find the gated 3.5.11's source code, however I could not catch it !!! I have
only found the INRIA's patch.

Regards,
  Vincent