Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:38:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Val <val@hcol.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Colorado T4000 Tape and tape backup in general

> > > I had a tape backup sitting next to the computer for a while now.
> > > It is detected on the scsi bus on the startup.
> > > I wasn't using it much because the tar command would take forever to
> > > backup about 2Gb of data, and after about 6-7hours would give some error
> > > message.
> >
> > Which error message?

st0(ncr0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0 Invalid command operation code

This message appears on the start of the backup and then on the start of
the verify part.  The tape itself is spinning, but it's not 100% busy, in
other words the busy light on the tape does not stay on all the time, but
blinks.
The tar appears to accomplish the job, but it sure takes a lot of time to
do it :( ncr is the scsi controller that we use.  What does asc:20,0 mean?
TIA.
Val.