Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 01:10:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Locking on disk slice I/O--yes, no or how?

> > Only if you have an intention collision would you resort to a TSM
> > call to resolve the collision.  For the most part, it's non-blocking.
>
> TSM doesn't necessarily mean it's non-blocking.  It just means that a
> vnode you're about to modify won't suddenly become a mbuf.  Intent locking
> seems similar in this respect.  Maybe I'm being a smartass, but since John
> said TSM instead of NBS it leaves it open to speculation a wee bit.
>
> Things sure are getting interesting in current!

I was thinking of Test-and-set/Semaphore/Mutex.  You would use
non-blocking intention modes, and then block on a T, S, or M if
there were a conflicting intention.

I guess he could have been talking about "Type Specific Memory",
though... but in the context of locking?  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.