Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:41:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Soren Dayton <csdayton@midway.uchicago.edu>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: discussion of porting Ports to other things?

On 16 Oct 1996, Soren Dayton wrote:

> This is sort of where I am...  Getting things like md5 are easy.  I
> assume that porting fetch cannot be that hard, so a lot of that is done
> for me.  I am curious if people have thought about doing the pacakge
> stuff in SVR4 package jargon.

md5 is easy.  But fetch is impossible!  Literally.  It relies on aspects
of stdio that are only in 4.4BSD and there seems to be no portable
equivalent.  This is one hellishly non-portable program!

I would suggest anyone interested in a more portable ports-chain, consider
reimplementing libftpio and fetch in C++, or maybe some sort of C wrapper
to behave like 4.4BSD stdio.  Any suggestions? (and don't say STREAMS! :-)

And yes, I would like to use the SVR4 package format, simply because it is
available, and would allow people to _use_ packaged ports without
requiring any additional software.

-- Jake