Date:      Sat, 15 May 2004 00:09:14 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@mecon.gov.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do fix a good solution against spam..

--sXc4Kmr5FA7axrvy

On 2004-05-14 08:40 -0300, Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@mecon.gov.ar> wro=
te:
> As everybody is throwing in their favorite anti-spam solutions, here's mi=
ne:
>=20
> http://www.paganini.net/ask/
>=20
> From the home page:
>
> ASK takes advantage of the fact that most spammers use invalid or
> fake "From:" address in their messages. When a new message arrives
> and the sender is unknown, ASK sends a "confirmation message"
> back, informing the sender that the original message has been
> queued, pending confirmation. When the sender confirms (a simple
> reply), ASK delivers the original message and adds the sender to a
> "whitelist". Further messages from this sender will be immediately
> delivered.

(I apologize for posting this O/T message.)

Here's a well-thought-out argument against systems of this type:

Challenge-Response Anti-Spam Systems Considered Harmful
  http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/challenge-response.html

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                    The best way to accelerate Windows
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org              is at 9.8 m/s^2.
http://zer0.org/~gsutter/=20

--sXc4Kmr5FA7axrvy

--sXc4Kmr5FA7axrvy--