Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:41:58 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Jorge Mario G." <list@linopryne.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why BIND and sendmail installed by default?

Jorge Mario G. wrote:
> Here I try to reply to kirk and all other guys
>
> 1. if I want to read my network status is most likely because  I have
> server?? If I'd have a server Id configure (mail) it how I like it :)
 >
> 2. for bill:
> I dont think there is BIND conde involved in the resolver

Well, we can both think about it, or you could check.

> 3. for peter:
> I always go with the CUSTOM install

I think he's talking about FreeBSD 5, which I know for a fact no longer
includes perl, and may have other things (like sendmail) removed as well.

You know, you could start this agument with just about any component
other than the kernel ... "Why is traceroute installed by default, I
don't always want to do packet sniffing?" ... "Why is ping installed
by default?"  Many Linux distros don't have these tools.

The answer is: "Because that's how FreeBSD is distributed"  Some of
these questions have already been raised and the default changed
(perl for example).  The sendmail issue has been asked before as
well.  The reasons are primarily historical, and there are ways to
disable/replace/remove those tools.

Does that answer your question?

--
Bill Moran