Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:29:32 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        webmaster@wmptl.com, bwoods2@uswest.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:12:27 -0700
> From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> As I recall, the 600E's modem doesn't work with FreeBSD, and
> power management doesn't work.

Like every laptop I have ever used, the built-n modem is a
Winmodem. But the problem is no worse with the 600E than with a Dell
or Gateway with a built-in Winmodem.

Power management works just fine on my 600E.

The only real annoyance I have with the 600E is the sound. It
seemingly randomly probes as pcm0 or pcm1. If it probes as pcm0, it
works fine. If it probes as pcm1, it's dead. I hate computers with
non-deterministic behavior!

Other then that, I have always preferred ThinkPads because of the
excellent keyboard (I'm very finicky about that), the TrackPoint (if I
don't plug in an external mouse) and the 3-button "mouse". Fairly
light, too.

I started drooling over the new ThinkPads, but I won't touch them with
a 10 foot pole as long as this problem persists.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)