Date:      Wed, 25 May 2005 10:40:23 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] remove bus_memio.h and bus_pio.h

On May 25, 2005, at 10:19 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Short answer:
>
> 	Great idea.

Seconded.

> Longer, more detailed answer.
>
> The original idea was to provide a hint to busspace that this driver
> only ever used a certain subset of the available mappings so it should
> assume that subset and agressively optimize the code.

It has also worked against, well, me in the past in that I couldn't
figure out why a driver simply didn't want to work with memio while
it worked perfectly with pio. Then I spotted the bus_pio.h header at
the top and cursed, cursed, cursed.

I'm all for performance tuning, but the newbus optimization is just
too weird for its own good this way.

--
  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel@xcllnt.net