Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:21:54 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        David Olbersen <dave@slickness.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports are insecure?

> How exactly does that work? Is this based in the idea that nearly
> anybody can contribute a port, but the core system is reviewed by a
> team?

I'm not sure where you read this, but as a general security principle,
this is true. The more you run, the more there is to go wrong and the
more there is to exploit.

In practical terms, regular audits of your machine (look at the output
of "netstat -an", "sockstat" and so on) and try to understand your own
environment.

Understand that the prime question is not "Am I being paranoid?", But
"Am I being paranoid _Enough_?"

> And, if I'm to believe this and limit my use of ports, doesn't that mean
> I'll be doing a lot of build-worlding to update specific applications?

There is no silver bullet, there is no algorithm. Swallow a paranoia-pill
and start hunting.

What you do on your own nets is your business - take charge.

(Any volunteers to maintain a FAQ? This is a doozy.)
--
o       Mark Murray
\_