Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 07:41:33 -0800
From:      Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moving a mount point on FreeBSD 4.2

Should it be possible to move a mount point when something is mounted to it?
The other day I brought somebody in to reorganize the company archives, and
when they were done things were a little bit weird. Some directories were
showing up as files, while others were accessible only from certain
workstations and not others. As it turns out, one of the directories they
moved was a mount point for one of the hard drives. Now that drive is
cemented to its non-existent mount point and completely inaccessible via NFS
(however still accessible via Samba, go figure).

The person doing the re-org was on a Win98 box accessing the archives via
Samba. My question is, regardless of how someone was "logged in" to the
server, why the hell did FreeBSD allow a mount point to be moved if it was in
use? Is this a bug or just some strange feature that doesn't make any sense?

--
Milo Hyson
CyberLife Labs, LLC