Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:04:02 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd as broadcastclient - not working?

--mSxgbZZZvrAyzONB

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 02:07:16AM -0500, W. D. wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> I have Tardis (Windows) running on my network broadcasting NTP=20
> time signals (right now every 4 seconds), but the=20
> FreeBSD machine is running 5 seconds faster than=20
> all the other computers.
>=20
>=20
> Here are the lines that I added to /etc/rc.conf:
>=20
> xntpd_enable=3D"YES"
> xntpd_flags=3D"-A -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -l /var/log/ntpd.=
log"=20
>=20
> (Both 'top' and 'ps -aux' show ntpd running after I rebooted.
>=20
>=20
> Here are the lines that I added to /etc/ntp.conf:
>=20
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> broadcastclient
>=20
>=20
> Does anyone have some ideas why it isn't synching up?

Don't you need to use ntp.keys in order to synch to a broadcast or
multicast server?

See ntp.conf(5):

     broadcastclient
             This command enables reception of broadcast server messages to
             any local interface (type b) address.  Upon receiving a message
             for the first time, the broadcast client measures the nominal
             server propagation delay using a brief client/server exchange
             with the server, then enters the broadcast client mode, in whi=
ch
             it synchronizes to succeeding broadcast messages.  Note that, =
in
             order to avoid accidental or malicious disruption in this mode,
             both the server and client should operate using symmetric-key =
or
             public-key authentication as described in Authentication Optio=
ns.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20