Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 02:08:28 -0500
From:      "F. Even" <freebsdlists@elitists.org>
To:        "Hodge Podge" <nicole@unixgirl.com>, "Marc Rassbach" <marc@milestonerdl.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Michael VanLoon" <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

Until you have introduced one seperate/additional power supply into this
mess though, you can't discount it!!!  Jeez.  There have been other theories
tossed out, but damn, that is a LOT of devices in a tight power tolerance
there.  ALSO...what kind of system is this?  P4?  AMD?  Those both need MORE
POWER.  It is not a "silly" suggestion.  Can you imagine that YOU might be
wrong in immediately discounting every suggestion put forth?!  IF YOU know
what it can and cannot be, then why did you bother to even post to this
discussion list?  There must be no problem then, and if there is, you must
certainly know what it is then......and if that is the case, you should in
fact be able to fix it, right?

...and that one manufacturer's link you posted earlier...note, it said "up
to" 13 drives.  Case probably comes with none, or they probably tell you
that you need more power for that many.  If you look at their other servers,
none of them are that anemically powered.

...and your comparison to 1 and 2U servers is not relevant, as most of them
won't have that many devices crammed into them, hence NOT needing that much
power.  Yeah...I have a couple 1U rack mountable VA boxes, and they only
have I think 200W PS's....but, there is not that many devices being powered.
Common sense here.  No one is not necessarily discounting that there COULD
BE other problems, but you seem to not want to investigate anything else
except the card.  If you can whip together one of those magical
300W/8+device SCSI machines to handle full-scale enterprise database access,
then do that I guess.  Have fun.

...oh please....the Galileo comparison is pathetic.