Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:13:45 -0500
From:      Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Anyone seen a fire server?

	Hi all.  Got a really interesting question.  Someone mentioned this to me
and I have yet to find evidence of it so far.  Apparently some company out
there makes a network file server of sorts that's not your typical network
file server.  What it is, is the box itself is a multi-port network hub of
sorts.  Basically each network branch could plug into it (up to 25
branches) and each would have individual access to the files on the
box.  Now here's the trick.  The drives are stored externally and access
via firewire.  Yup, you heard me right.  Externally, and via fire
wire.  Apparently from what I picked up, the drives themselves are 250gig
high speed SCSI drives enclosed in a typical external drive housing that
sits on top of the box and connects via firewire.  The advantage being that
you can both hot swap the drives, and you can take them over to your
neighborhood workstation or any server on the lan, plug them in, do what
you need, unplug them and take them back over to this network drive hub and
plug them back in all without rebooting.  I like the idea and I'm trying to
find who has one so I can check it out.  Anyone seen anything like this yet?