Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:22:02 -0700
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quick help-new install complains about the hard drive geometry

Jack L. Stone wrote this stuff on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:09:07 -0500:

> At 04:34 PM 10.22.2002 -0700, Chip Wiegand wrote:
> >I am setting up a brand new system, has a 40gig hard drive. FBSD4.7
> >complains about the geometry being incorrect, to use the G command
> >to change it. I did that, set it to exactly what the BIOS shows for
> >the drive, and it still claims the numbers are incorrect. What do I
> >do now?
> >
> >--
> >Chip
> >

> Have you tried ignoring the complaint and finishing the FDISKing and
> Labeling....? That will probably work okay.
>
> Best regards,
> Jack L. Stone,

I got it installed - first I created a 5gig partition and installed
win2000 (for games), then installed FreeBSD on the remaining 35gigs and
it had no complaint at all. I don't know why it didn't like the full
40gig drive, but it's working now, sure is fast :), I'm gonna have to
replace all my old boxes with these.

--
Chip