Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:44:43 -0700
From:      "David B. Alder" <dbalder@unm.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

I'm about to pull out my hair.  I've tried to install 5 different versions
of Linux from three different companies on my machine.  I know you can't
help me with that, but I've also tried to install 2 different versions of
FreeBSD, 2.1.5 and 2.2.5.  I've tried all 7 versions multiple times each.
Varying the parameters each time.  None of which installed completely.
They all lock-up partially through the installation process.  The FreeBSD
versions both lock-up during the ports part of the installation.  Generally
after about 3 to 5 minutes through.  The funny thing is, that I had
installed 2.2.5 a while back, but I had the same problems.  One time it
didn't lock up until the end, so I had installed enough of the OS to boot
it and configure.  I have a 486 DX4-100 with a 3.2GB and a 1.2GB drive.  I
also have a Goldstar 16X cdrom.  All of these items are detected when the
setup is loading from floppy.  Do you have any advice?  What is going on?

David Alder