Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:57:42 -0400
From:      "vbrammer" <vbrammer@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE + NAT + firewall = no @Home support

>I've been running FreeBSD as my NAT router and firewall for some time now.
>In August I started having connectivity problems (no Ethernet errors, just
>cable modem dropping link to head end) which has continued to this day
>through several 4.3 and 4.4 versions.
>
>@Home's Tier I support told me today that "no software firewall of any
kind"
>is supported (no I'm not making this up) and that I'd have to switch to

      I'm no expert in the field here, but what he is telling you is that
they dont know
      anything about your particular setup, and therefor cant help you. They
also dont
      support home networks .

>a "hub" (by which he meant a router/switch combination like the D-Link or
>Linksys products.  He was unable to suggest a hardware firewall that was
>supported.
>
>Searching the @Home (athome.*) newsgroups didn't turn up any evidence of
this
>policy.
>
>I'm running 4.4-STABLE with the required name in dhclient.conf and have no

    hmm, Ive been running 3.x and 4.x firewalls, and right now a 5.0-current
firewall, using
    ipfw & natd, for more than a year on @home. Ive never had this problem.
One thing
    I do see is dhclient. Were you assigned a static IP when you signed up?

        In my case I was given a static IP address. In my logs I see
requests to udp dhcl
        but those are all dropped by the firewall, and as to date I havent
run into a problem
        like yours.

>problems getting recognized.  netstat -i never shows outbound errors
(actually,
>with the Pro100+'s I've never seen errors on either the cable modem
connection
>or the inside interface at 100Mbits full duplex).

    fyi I use a LinkSys and a Netgear pci for the firewall machine.
    and old LattisNet 24 port 10base-T for a hub, and 5 machines (1 duel
boot)
    on the inside network.

>The built-in Web monitor to the cable modem shows no errors in its logs.

     Id like to help more, but dont have any suggestions at this time. Im
presuming
    you've done traceroutes and pings to your gateway and nameservers when
these
    connectivity problems occurred?

>Any ideas?

>MLS