Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:55:25 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
Cc:        Nick Barbarise <barbarin@wholefoods.com>, freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: question/register

* Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net> [000224 16:52] wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > * Nick Barbarise <barbarin@wholefoods.com> [000224 12:10] wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >  I just placed a fresh copy of apache/freebsd on a blank unit and would
> > > like it to host my web page. I am going to get my own domain name, is
> > > there anything I need to do to match the domain name with the computer
> > > box?? I am new to this so any help is very useful. please reply to this
> > > e-mail.
> >
> > Ask your ISP to setup DNS records with you to point www.yourdomain.com
> > to the IP address they assigned you.
> >
> > -Alfred
> >
> Alfred, is it as simple as that? I was under the impression you had
> to register your domain with someone and pay a yearly fee. I am
> interested in the reply as I will be getting cable modem as soon as
> the company stops dragging its feet, and will be setting up my own
> domain.

Most ISPs will do it for you for a reasonable fee, just make sure
that you are the owner of the domain and not the ISP.

Of course you can go to one of the many registration sites and do it
yourself, but considering the questions asked, I thought it'd be wiser
to have Nick's ISP do the hard work.

-Alfred