Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 08:47:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      didier@aida.remcomp.fr (Didier Derny)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   limites

Hi

I wrote a minitel server in the past. this server can accept up to 256
connections. the reconnection were made through X25 lines and an
external box that convert syncronous/X25 protocol into a simple
asynchonous one (composed of packet delimited by STX/ETX)
a program receive the packets for 32 channels simulateously and
direct the packets to a series of queues in shared memory.

As the application has to read/write in a shared memory for its
standard input/input it is impossible to use standard programs.

I'm sure that FreeBSD network is more reliable than Interactive Unix one
and I would like to replace this absurd mechanism by

an incoming network connection to the X25 box through a socket
and 32 outgoing connections to the clients. That's why I need about 35
open sockets for this process and about 16 normal files.

each client would have at least one open socket and up to 20 open files

Is it possible to do that with FreeBSD 2.0

For 256 users I would need

800  sockets
5000 open files
800  processes