Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:46:03 -0600
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        vivian yan <ziqang@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache installing

This setup looks rather odd for apache.  Normally when you configure
it you provide the -prefix=/path/for/apache/to/install and everything
ends up in that directory.

But anyhoo, the reason httpd won't start is it can't find httpd.conf,
the apache configuration file under /usr/local/etc/apache.  You need
to find that file and move it to /usr/local/etc/apache, it's part of
the apache distribution.  You also need to edit the config file and
you can find more information on that at http://httpd.apache.org

vivian yan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Under my directory " /usr/local/sbin", there are:
>
> ab  apachectl  httpd rolatelogs
> apache  apxc logresolve
>
> the I used command " /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start"
> to start it.  I got:
>
> fopen: no such file or directory
> httpd: could not open document config file
> /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be
> start
>
> What should I do for it?
>
> and uder " /usr/local ", there is netscape-4.51.  how
> can i start it? there is no any icon about it on my
> X-win.

That's probably a directory, look in there and see if there is an
executable called netscape.  /usr/local/netscape-4.51/netscape is
probably the magic.