Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:06:21 -0500
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Question about default IPFW Rules...

Hi,

Okay I recently setup IPFW, and during the past 24 hours I have been
tweaking and getting familiar with writing the rules...

I have a question about this rule in the default rc.firewall script:

        # Allow any traffic to or from my own net
        ${fwcmd} add pass all from ${ip} to ${net}:${mask}
        ${fwcmd} add pass all from ${net}:${mask} to ${ip}

If one is on a cable/dsl connection like @home, wouldn't this rule supercede
all other rules and let any traffic in from my I.P. address range? (given
that example I.P. is 192.168.0.3, and netmask is 255.255.255.0)

I am concerned with this because I do have hackers in my range that have
been trying to get in...

Is there a better way to do this? Or would you guys suggest removing this
rule completely? (I have not tried this yet...)

I am on an @home connection with two I.P. addresses bound to my NIC. they
are both in the same range (ex. 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4) ... the gateway
is 192.168.0.1...

I was thinking maybe I could limit this to traffic with my gateway and my
own I.P. addresses, as I have provided other rules for things like DNS ...

Thanks,

Jordan