Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 12:19:22 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Postscript via gs split over sheets?

When I print postscript via the interface script below I sometimes
see pages go beyond the end of a physical piece of paper. That is
to say I get one sheet that is full and a second sheet that has
the last few rasters of the page on it.    I suspect this has something to
do with the default margin on the Epson color jet printer I am using since I
did not notice this problem with a previous HP jet printer I was using.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem? Do any of you have any idea how I
might be able to work around this?

Thanks
chris
--
    Chris Fedde
    303 773 9134

lp|local line printer:\
        :sh:\
	:if=/usr/libexec/ifps:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ifps
# simple filter to guess if input is postscript then print it
#

#
#  Read first two characters of the file
#
read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
    #
    #  It is PostScript; use Ghostscript to scan-convert and print it
    #
    /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q\
                      -sDEVICE=epsonc -sOutputFile=- - &&
    exit 0

else
    #
    #  Plain text or HP/PCL, so just print it directly; print a form
    #  at the end to eject the last page.
    #
    echo "$first_line" && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
fi

exit 2