Date:      17 Jun 1996 17:56:53 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   that slow transfer problem

Just to let people know: it's been solved. Replacing the old isa
card with a shiny new pci card did the trick. It's funny: the
first time I was bitten by this particular problem was like over
a decade ago. You think I'd have spotted it right away!

The problem isn't that the card was so slow that it couldn't
transfer at the speeds I expected. Rather, the problem was that
the card was mismatched with the network. If all my other cards
had been the relatively slow card that I had in my machine, all
would have been well. Transfers would have been slow, but not
abysmally so.

However, the news machine has a nice fast interface. And, it can
drive that interface so quickly that it overwhelmed the old, slow
interface on ux1. With most operations, that wasn't a problem;
there was a relatively slow packet exchange and no overflow
problem. But, try to transfer a big batch of data and the
interface dropped packets like mad. Between the dropped packets
*and* the load from retransmissions, that machine was reduced to
moving data through the ethernet like it was a mere serial line.

The moral is: keep your ethernet cards in sync. If you stick a
fast card in one machine, make sure that all the others are
capable of keeping up. Otherwise, you'll find your net looking
more like a serial cable than an ethernet cable. :-)