Date:      Wed, 14 May 2003 10:55:19 +0200
From:      Axel Rau <Axel.Rau@Chaos1.DE>
To:        Joshua Oreman <oremanj@www.get-linux.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fbsd upgrade on vinum filesystems with sysinstall

Am Mittwoch, 14.05.03, um 00:43 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Joshua
Oreman:

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:08:20PM +0200 or thereabouts, Axel Rau
> seemed to write:
>> I just tried to upgrade my 4.7 box to 4.8 REL and found myself
>> in sysinstalls labeleditor and tried to specify the mount point
>> for /usr which is on a vinum device.
>> There seems to be no vinum support in sysinstall.
>> How shall I proceed?
>
> Don't use binary upgrade for vinum.
> Build from /usr/src.
> See for more info:
> FreeBSD Handbook, chapter 21: "The Cutting Edge".

Sorry, this box will be a bastion host, so there will be no compiler
tools installed.

I just tried the following:
1. I installed a tar archive of /stand from another 4.8 box at /usr
    and linked to / (sysinstall seems to unpack in /stand which exceeds
    the size of my root fs).
2. I shut down to single user mode and started the 4.8 sysinstall
    (vinum subsystem still running)
3. I did a standard upgrade from CD and rebooted
So far everything seems fine, but can anybody confirm that this is
a supported procedure?

Axel

Computing @ Chaos Claudius    -Motivation by consistency: Cocoa
Axel Rau, Frankfurt, Germany    Phone:49-69-951418-0,  Fax: -55
email:Axel.Rau@Chaos1.DE,Mime ok,MS-Word-documents only as HTML