Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 10:16:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Kenneth Miller <kemiller@hcs.harvard.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: improper shutdown

Kenneth Miller probably wrote:

> > I've had a minor (?) but irritating problem ever since moving to stable
> > from 2.2.5.  When I reboot, the disks don't have their clean flags set
> > and need fscking.  If I shutdown to singer user mode and manually
> > unmount the disks, and remount / readonly, it's fine.  But using the
> > shutdown program to go all the way doesn't work.  I will assume this is
> > some misconfiguration on my part, but I was a little perplexed that it
> > began only when I moved to stable.

I've been seeing this recently too.  The first kernel I can guarantee had
the problem was one built on April 25th.  I too have updated my fstab as
was required (to move away from the compatibility slice, right?).  My
/etc/fstab:
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump Pass#
/dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s2f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/wd0s2e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
/dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/sd0s1              /syjet          ufs     rw,noauto       0       0
keaggy:/usr/home        /usr/home       nfs     rw              0       0
keaggy:/space           /space          nfs     rw              0       0
keaggy:/var/mail        /var/mail       nfs     rw              0       0
keaggy:/usr             /keaggy_usr     nfs     rw              0       0

I built a new kernel yesterday (as well as doing a 'make world'), and
when I rebooted to use the new kernel, I saw something like:

Syncing disks... 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Giving up.

The machine is a P5-166, 128 MB RAM, Seagate 2.1GB(?) EIDE HDD, 2940UW
with a Syjet drive (no cartridge in it at shutdown), 3COM 3C509B ethernet.

Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Web: [http://www.canonware.com/~jasone]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]