Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 01:27:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT: buildworld failure: sbin/swapon

    By the time you posted your reply, I had already gone for
    broke figuring there was a library call problem in make
    buildworld since I found swapoff() in libc

	shutdown now
	sync
	cd /usr/src
	make installkernel
	reboot
	boot -s
	fsck -y
	sync
	cd /usr/src
	make installworld
	mergemaster
	reboot
	boot -s
	fsck -y
	exit	... and all's well that ends well.

    Well, this aint the way to do it, but all's fair in love and
    war; I assumed (even though assumption is cockup's mother) I
    would get a link with the new installed libraries given the
    bottom line that swapoff is in libc. Sure enough:

	cd /usr/src/sbin/swapon
	make
	    /usr/bin/gcc -O -pipe -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -Wno-uninitialized \
		-static -o swapon swapon.o
	cp /usr/obj/usr/src/sbin/swapon/swapon /sbin
	chmod 0555 !$/swapon

    Again, the problem from my perspective is that 'make
    buildworld' is failing to find includes and libs in the
    build tree... but will heal itself (albeit incorrectly)
    after installworld.

    To prove the point, after installing the 1200 GMT 27 Dec
    run, I moved the source slice forward 24 hours to 1200 GMT
    28 Dec --buildworld completed with no errors even though the
    cvs update list for the 24 hours did not show anything
    relevant to swapon --eg: it links with system library libc,
    not /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc.a as advertised.

    In the last four or five months, I have had as many as ten
    similar problems, usually includes. After going around on
    the issue with you and Kris that I see problems with missing
    includes and buildworld linking with /usr/obj/..., I just do
    not report them. The fact that they are self-healing ex post
    facto is not the way it should be.

    From my perspective, I don't care how I get there --eg:
    all's well that ends well. Suggestions and solutions
    welcome; sniping to /dev/null.

    Details to Steve's requests follow.

Sent: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 12:45:43 -0800 by Steve Kargl:

| What is contents of supfile-date?

	*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
	*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs
	*default delete compress use-rel-suffix strictrcs

	*default date=2002.12.28.12.00.00

	src-all

| What is contents of /etc/make.conf?

	# src/etc/make.conf
	#
	XFREE86_VERSION=4
	#
	CPUTYPE=	  athlon-mp
	#
	NO_FORTRAN=	YES
	NO_I4B=		YES
	NO_MAILWRAPPER=	YES
	NO_SENDMAIL=	YES
	NO_TCSH=	YES
	NOUUCP=		YES
	NOGAMES=	YES
	NOPROFILE=	YES
	MAKE_IDEA=	NO
	COMPAT4X=	YES
	COMPAT3X=	YES
	PRINTERDEVICE=	ps
	BOOTWAIT=	3000
	TOP_TABLE_SIZE=	200
	DOC_LANG=	en_US.ISO8859-1
	#
	NO_WERROR=	YES
	NO_MAKEDEV=	YES
	#
	NOPORTDOCS=	YES
	NO_SHAREDOCS=   YES
	NOINFO=		NO
	#
	# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
	# Created: Mon Dec 23 06:45:57 2002
	# Setting to use base perl from ports:
	#
	PERL_VER=5.8.0
	PERL_VERSION=5.8.0
	PERL_ARCH=mach
	NOPERL=yo
	NO_PERL=yo
	NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

|>     Bottom line: where is 'swapoff(char *str)'?
|>

| libc

    yeah, I figured it was ... That's when I decided to go for
    broke, install it, and hand link swapon (successfully)