Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:32:16 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

--Boundary-02=_gzU7AKjC+GSamNQ

On Thursday 2004-07-08 07:38 am, cpghost wrote:

> Actually, there are some network daemons written in Perl, Python, Java,
> ... probably also in Ada or Modula-3. They are great for their intended
> use, but they are generally not used in production environments with high
> requirements.

I used Python to write a bridge adapter between my company's Unix servers=20
and Windows databases and it's been running uninterrupted for several=20
months in a rather demanding environment.  Of course, the plural of=20
"anecdote" isn't "data", so take that with a grain of salt.

I do almost all new development in Python.  Frankly, I don't trust my own=20
abilities to catch every single stupid error that I'm likely to make when=20
writing in C, and my personal throughput is much higher in Python than C. =
=20
Having said that, one of the things that attracted me to Python is that=20
it's trivially easy to write specific functions in other languages=20
(including C) where appropriate, so you can use a nice, high-level language=
=20
for the parts where performance isn't critical, but some tightly optimized=
=20
C for the essential components.

=46reenet is written in Java, although that's not a shining example of a sl=
eek=20
application.  The BitTorrent tracker and most common client apps are=20
written in Python.  The maintainer of Leafnode has discussed writing the=20
new version in Python.  There's not a huge groundswell yet, but servers in=
=20
high-level languages are starting to trickle in.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser