Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2017 10:50:39 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: manpath change for ports ?

John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> writes:
> I wouldn't even mind if we had both /usr/local/man and /usr/local/share/m=
an
> so long as our default MANPATH included both if that means applying fewer
> patches to ports.

The default MANPATH is constructed dynamically from PATH:

     1.   From each component of the user's PATH for the first of:
          -   pathname/man
          -   pathname/MAN
          -   If pathname ends with /bin: pathname/../man
          Note: Special logic exists to make /bin and /usr/bin look in
          /usr/share/man for manual files.

If we change this to:

     1.   From each component of the user's PATH for the first of:
          -   pathname/man
          -   pathname/MAN
          -   If pathname ends with /bin or /sbin: pathname/../man and
              pathname/../share/man

we wouldn't need any "special logic", but I really don't like the idea
of having different ports installing man pages in different locations.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no