Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:34:27 -0600
From:      David Duchscher <kreios@gmail.com>
To:        Bart Van Kerckhove <bart@it-ss.be>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ng_netflow documentation

On Mar 29, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Bart Van Kerckhove wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have been looking into ng_netflow lately for traffic analyzing.
> It seems that this would do everything i'd ever need - though I
> have a hard
> time tracking down (working) examples, or FAQ's/howto's/documentation.
> I've done the most obvious things, googled it, searched the -net
> lists, but
> to no (useful) effect.
> I was wondering if this list could provide me with any useful links
> or info
> regarding ng_netflow. That would be greatly appreciated!

Script that is working on one of my systems (fxp0 is its only
interface):

   kldload ng_ether
   kldload ng_ksocket
   kldload ng_tee
   kldload ng_netflow

   # Tap interface
   ngctl mkpeer fxp0: tee lower right
   ngctl name fxp0:lower tee0
   ngctl connect fxp0: tee0: upper left

   # Hook up netflow to tap
   ngctl mkpeer tee0: netflow right2left iface0
   ngctl name tee0:right2left netflow0
   ngctl connect tee0: netflow0: left2right iface1

   # Hook up netflow export to ksocket
   ngctl msg netflow0: setifindex { iface=0 index=1 }
   ngctl msg netflow0: setifindex { iface=1 index=2 }
   ngctl mkpeer netflow0: ksocket export inet/dgram/udp
   ngctl name netflow0:export nfexport
   ngctl msg nfexport: connect inet/127.0.0.1:9996

Then you just need something to capture the netflow data like
ports/net-mgmt/flow-tools.  You can also change 127.0.0.1 to any
routable host and the netflow packets will be sent to that host.

Hope this helps,
--
DaveD