Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:37:48 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Dan Ellard <ellard@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot manager

Dan Ellard schrieb:

> I just installed FreeBSD 4.3 on one of the disks on my PC.  The PC has
> several SCSI disks:  BSD/OS 4.1 is installed on disk 0 and FreeBSD 4.3
> on disk 1.
>
> The install seemed to go OK, but although I indicated that I wanted to
> install the FreeBSD boot manager, it never asked me to configure it,
> and it didn't seem to get installed.  This leaves me baffled because
> now I don't know how to boot into FreeBSD!
>
> When I reboot or reset the machine it goes straight to sd0 and boots
> BSD/OS, same as before.  I need to have a choice for booting either
> OS.  Any ideas?  (Do you know if there is a BSD/OS boot manager of
> some kind?)

That's to be expected. If you configured da1 for FreeBSD, BootEasy (the
FreeBSd standard bootmanager) sits on this disk's boot blocks. You BIOS
will never see it because it already gets a bootable OS with standard
MBR on disk da0, and will boot that.

Install the BootEasy (or any other boot manager) onto da0 to get OSes
from secondary disks to boot. Alternatively, use your SCSI BIOS to
activate da1 as boot disk.

HTH
-Christoph Sold