Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:39:12 -800
From:      "Mark L. Holloway" <mholloway@flashmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD & AMD K7

Does anyone know if FreeBSD will be working ok with the K7?  It has attractive
specs and seems to slowly bridge the gap between Intel and DEC Alpha.

Also, can anyone please tell me why in Gods name people who use Sun Solaris
insist that a Sparc 10/Dual 51/128MB is still better than a Pentium III/500
with 128MB?  They claim it's due to the throughput but when I checked the specs
on a Sparc 10 and 20 the bus speeds are 15 mhz and 25 mhz respectively.  For
the price of a used Sparc 10 you can get a PIII 450/500 which I would think
it smokes a legacy Sparc.  Also, if the legacy Sparc is so great then how come
Yahoo, Mp3.com, Gamespot, Link Exchange, Hotmail, and so many others are using
FreeBSD?  I'm confused. They keep boasting that Intel throughput sucks even
with todays new hardware it doesn't compare to a Sparc 10.  Is it because a
used Sparc still costs so much?  I'd swear an Intel PII/III would have to run
circles around a SS10.

Regards,
Mark