Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:41:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        francis.j.bruening@bigfoot.com (Francis J. Bruening)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd)
Subject:   Re: sendmail / fetchmail config under 3.3?!? Looking for pointers

Francis J. Bruening wrote,
> Hi,
>
> Just installed 3.3 last weekend, and have been chipping
> away at getting things configured just so. I'm new to FBSD,
> and am not a unix guru, so sorry if this questions seems somewhat
> pedantic.
>
> 1) WRT mail:  I have a LAN connection to an ISP (@home) accessable
>    through POP3, sending using SMTP. I want to
>    be able to send / recieve e-mail. digging around it seems the
>    easiest way to do that is to use fetchmail / sendmail. (Someone
>    please let me know if there is a better way) I plan on using Mutt
>    as my mail client.

I'm on @Home too. This is exactly how I do it as well... Well, I'm an
ol' elm user, not that new-fangled mutt stuff, but that has nothing to
to with your problem. Oh, and I filter it all through procmail, but
that's for the future.

> I installed fetchmail (used the port, very slick! I'm still impressed
> with how well ports work). Now I try to debug fetchmail, and I get
> the following messages:
>
> ... lots of "octet" messages about each file in my POP3 mailbox
> fetchmail> SMTP connect to localhost failed
> fetchmail> SMTP transaction error while fetching
> fetchmail> error 10?!? (if I remember correctly)
>
> Do I have sendmail configured incorrectly?

First, I'd check that it is running at all,

% ps aux | grep sendmail

If it is, try sending mail to yourself,

% echo "This is a test" | mail -v -s "TEST" <yourusername>@localhost

And watch the debug output the '-v' flag has it produce. That should
help verify if sendmail is working at all.

> I started to dig through the
> doc(s) on sendmail, and am horrifed (OK, not really) at the complexity
> of it.

No, no, it's alright to be horrified by sendmail.

> I never configured sendmail when I installed, do I need to do
> so now? If so, is there something like sendmailconf?

The file is /etc/sendmail.cf. If you value your sanity do not cast
your eyes upon it. The default sendmail.cf that comes with FreeBSD
_should_ be just fine for your needs. There may be reasons for you to
change it (if, for example, you want to forward all your outgoing mail
through @Home's SMTP hosts), but what you are trying to do should work
with the default. Get this working first.