Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:07:44 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Lee_Shackelford@dot.ca.gov
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:48:55AM -0700, Lee_Shackelford@dot.ca.gov wrote:

> emulation.  I understand from the book by Ms. Annelise Anderson that, in
> order to run a Linux program under BSD, the user must first install an
> emulation program that is 60 megabytes in size.  I had thought that all
> Unix variants worked similarly.

"Similarly" != "Identically"

>  I am puzzled as to just why the 60
> megabyte program is necessary, and wonder just what it is that it does.

It's basically a very stripped-down installation of RedHat Linux which
is necessary to run actual RedHat Linux (and other Linux
distributions) applications.  The actual emulation of the Linux kernel
is done inside the FreeBSD kernel (if you choose to enable this
option) and does not require installation of any packages, but in
order to run most Linux binaries you need the userland support code
(libraries, configuration files, system commands, etc) which they
expect to find on the system.

> There are several complete operating systems that are less than 60
> megabytes in size (i.e. MS-DOS, Minix).

Yes, but Linux is not one of them.

Kris

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe