Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        m bram <brambostic@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about freeBSD vs Unix

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, m bram wrote:

> Hi. A quick question. Does freeBSD basically emulate a UNIX system. In
> other words, if I knew how to work under a unix administrator, would I
> therefore be totally comfortable with a freeBSD system. ARe there majore
> differences? Thanks for taking the time to read this & respond.

As far as the question you asked goes, FreeBSD _is_ an operating system
that descends from Berkeley unix. FreeBSD is unix. (as far as I am
concerned) It does not emulate unix. It cannot legally be called Unix
owing to trademark issues.

As a side note: FreeBSD does provide an added functionality of an
application binary interface (ABI)  to allow it run programs from others
OSes. This is called emulation.

If you were totally comfortable with Unix before you will be totally
comfortable with FreeBSD. Some even say that FreeBSD is too unixy.

There are what many unixites call "flavor differences" between all unices.
Once you know one, you know the better part of all of them. (with the
exception of said flavor differences)

FreeBSD is unix (lower case) but not Unix(tm).

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells