Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:13:37 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Tadimeti Keshav <keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unable to use BOOT EASY to boot linux

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 02:21 pm, Tadimeti Keshav wrote:
> hi all.
> I added a 2 GB linux disk as a slave and installed
> Mandrake Linux with LILO on the root partition of
> linux.

So far this is correct. LILO needs to be on the *root* partition.

> I am trying configure Boot Easy to boot linux.
> Since FreeBSD occupies all of the 1st HD, should I
> install a STANDARD boot loader on first or on both
> Hard disks.

The standard boot loader is NOT a boot loader. All it will do is boot
the partition that is marked bootable. You want to choose BootMgr for
each harddrive, if you want to use the FreeBSD boot manager. Please see
the section in the Handbook" 2.5.3 Install a Boot Manager".

The boot menu will display the partitions named by partition type
(FreeBSD, Linux, DOS, ??). All partitions will be listed, not just the
ones that are bootable. It's very easy to use if you know what your
partitions are.

It's amazing that they were able to fit a general purpose boot manager
into only 512 bytes! Chapter 7 of the Handbook "The FreeBSD Booting
Process" describes this in excruciating detail.

David Johnson