Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:21:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@freebsd.org>
To:        Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        nsayer@kfu.com, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing GDBM_File (was: Location of GDBM_File in FreeBSD  3.2_Release)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Richard Morte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This isn't addressed specifically to Nick Sayer - if anyone can give me
> a hint what to do next I should be able (hopefully) to complete this
> install within the next hour or two.
>
> I had problems installing gdbm-1.7.3. Nick suggested the following:
> >
> > pkg_delete gdbm-1.7.3 and fetch and install the latest
> > gdbm port, which will instal 1.8.0, which will give you
> > /usr/local/lib/libgdbm.so.2
> >

> I located the whereabouts of gdbm-1.8.0 on the ports tree by doing a
> search on FreeBSD.org
>
> $ fetch
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/gdbm-1.8.0.tar.gz

No, no. Don't fetch the distfile, fetch the _port_.

fetch ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/databases/gdbm.tar

Unpack _that_ (in /usr/ports/databases, after moving the old gdbm port
out of the way). Then go back into the p5-gdbm port and make install.
It should go and do a make install in the gdbm port for you and then
install p5-gdbm for you.

> I got the message that I wasn't logged in.

This happens when there are too many users on ftp.freebsd.org
(aka ftp.cdrom.com). Just try again later.

> Anyway I found the following
> worked OK:
>
> $ fetch ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/GNU/gdbm/gdbm-1.8.0.tar.gz

Well, now that you've fetched that tar file, you can save yourself
fetching it again by putting it in /usr/ports/distfiles, but that
is the original source of gdbm, not the port. A FreeBSD "port" is
a Makefile and a bunch of patch and package files that teach your
machine how to fetch, patch, configure and install a piece of 3rd
party software automagically.

> messages about 134080 bytes transferred etc...
>
> I untarred it with:
>
> $ tar xzf gdbm-1.8.0.tar.gz
>
> I noticed that the permissions for the newly created gdbm-1.8.0
> directory were different from others in /usr/ports/databases directory
> (no idea why or even if this is significant) so I changed the
> permissions to 0755.
>
> $ cd gdbm-1.8.0
> $ make install      (did this with gdbm-.1.7.3, so did this again for
> ~1.8.0)
> make: don't know how to make install. Stop
>
> so I tried :
> $ make              (from Greg Lehey's Book, 2nd Edition, pg 96 -
> Building the port)
> make: no target to make.
> $
>
> I'm beginning to think I'm utterly useless at ports. Haven't got one to
> work correctly yet.
>
> What did I do wrong this time?

There is a difference between the port and the distfile that contains
the source.